RELEVANTCALENDARWITHSELECTEDIMAGES YOU CANSEE.... HERE
PATRAS’ TRAM AND ITS ROUTES
Only a few citizens of Patras are aware that 100 years ago, in their city there was a tram running by electricity. It was used to service two basic routes. The first one crossed the lower town following Saint Andrew’s Street, from the church of Saint Dionysios up to Ities. The second line was ascending Gounari, Saint Georgiou and Germanou Streets and reached Tabahana.
A published report informs us that the tram was established by the Greek Electricity Corporation in 1901–02. Its rails were 1 meter wide. The lower town line was 5.3 kilometers long, while the upper town one was 1.7 kilometers. The electricity factory was located outside the town, behind the gas production factory, which provided the necessary energy to move its engines. The electricity was transported from the factory through a thick copper wire, 6 meters above the ground, which followed the tram route. The coaches, which were 2 meters wide and 6 meters long, were of two types: motor-vehicles or trailers.
The tram was running from 1902 until the city’s blockade in 1917. It is worth mentioning that in 1926 the mayor Ioannis Vlahos attempted to put the tram on work once again.
The city of Patras desperately needs this environmentally friendly means of transportation. So we wish that it would be on the road again.